Carvewright Dust Collection – The Evolution
I am a strong proponent of dust collection for the CarveWright system.
Keeping the inside of the CarveWright/CompuCarve dust free as much as possible during the carving process will help to improve machine performance and reliability. Plus you can spend less time cleaning and more time carving.
I have progressed though several different versions of dust collection for my system.
First was a Down Draft system using the inner slot between the two traction belts in the CarveWright. Wood box frame is made with standard 2×6 boards. Top slot is cut approximately the same size as the opening in the bottom of the CW. I started out using a shop vac to hook up to the system but soon found out a shop vac is not a good tool for running at long periods of time and air flow. My first dust collector was a Delta 650 cfm unit. Dust collectors will move more air with a 4” port versus a shop vac. The down draft works well if your boards are narrow but still left a good amount of dust on top of the board. I was even worse with a wide board. Main reason is that the air flow was pulling for the most part on the bottom board and unless you had an additional air push on top of the board to blow the dust off you still had a good amount of dust left inside the CarveWright.
My next step was to figure out a system for collecting the dust at the source, the top of the board.
Next step was to make one with a 4” hook up to eliminate the 2” hose and increase the air flow.
It was made from 4” aluminum dryer vent pipe and gorilla tape.
It was totally rude and crude but very effective in the dust removal. Even with air leaks the dust removal was better than 80%.
This is my first DC-INSERT version that I started making and selling to other CarveWright/CompuCarve users. The hold down system (right picture) was soon replaced with thumb screws. I latter modified (narrowed) the body to utilize the two factory drill holes for attaching the insert to the CW.
My second design for the DC-INSERT. By moving the 4” hose connection to the side it increased the air flow through the system. Version 1 design had the air low actually pulling on the bottom of the insert causing a restriction.
My current design, I increased the box by almost double. This makes the total air flow almost 100% through the complete system, from dust collector to the intake of the DC-INSERT.